Lambrate, now a district of Milan, was a municipality in its own right. On 20 March 1905, during construction excavations at Via Conte Rosso 36, a bronze coin from the Augustan period (63 BCE - 14 CE) and a famous sarcophagus dating from around 300 CE were discovered. As evidence of this discovery, a plaque commemorating the event is visible on the house's façade at Via Conte Rosso 36.
In Roman times, it was common for the wealthy classes to bury their loved ones at home or in the surrounding area, potentially making the neighbourhood of Lambrate an ancient settlement in the countryside outside the walls of Mediolanum.
This very well-preserved sarcophagus can be admired in the entrance hall of the Sforza Castle Museum in Milan.